Friday, September 23, 2011

beards hugs and penises

Morning visit to the gsa library booksale, I found a book of images from of the Book of Kells. The most intriguing image to me was this couple of blond men that I've so gracefully highlighted here. They men are holding each others beards, which form a crazy plait around their arms and between their faces. Their bodies look insane, you can't tell whether they're wearing clothes or you can see their internal organs and bones. And I don't even know what to think of the way the guy on the right is holding his leg, and the one on the left is getting his heel bitten by another blonde head.
this is just a tiny detail, it's really an overwhelming book. Trying to find some interpretations on the illustrations, I came across an online collection of male exhibitionist carvings on medieval churches.




these four carvings of couples look so awesome :













No comments: